Navigation

Search

History

From the early 19th century, when as Brockenbrough’s Hill it was the first site of the off-Grounds student housing, Carr’s Hill - the name of both the sloping plot of land and the house - has been a central part of University life. The elegant McKim, Mead & White building, constructed in 1909, has been home to all of the University’s presidents.  Carr’s Hill is a hard-working house that serves a dual purpose as a family residence and a gathering place for students, faculty, staff, alumni, and friends.  This history of the President's Home mirrors and touches on the many changes that the University has undergone over the past century.